The CB Insights Venture Capital Database seeks to capture every venture capital deal and exit, by crawling thousands of sources of financing and exit data each day. By aggregating data across the investing landscape, it provides insights into sector trends, innovation, and financing activity. Large companies with separately identifiable corporate venture units are also tracked for their startup investing strategy and activity.
Access to CB Insights Venture Capital Database
Access to the database requires a paid subscription. The dataset has been used in the following works of entrepreneurship research:
- Bock, C., & Hackober, C. (2020). Unicorns—what drives multibillion-dollar valuations? Business Research, 13(3), 949–984. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40685-020-00120-2
- Mahroum, S. (2016). All Unhappy Start-ups Are Alike, Each Happy Start-up Is Unique. In Black Swan Start-ups (pp. 233–243). Palgrave Macmillan UK. https://doi.org/10.1057/978-1-137-57727-6_14
- Röhm, P. (2018). Exploring the landscape of corporate venture capital: a systematic review of the entrepreneurial and finance literature. Management Review Quarterly, 68(3), 279–319. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11301-018-0140-z
- Schlichte, F., Junge, S., & Mammen, J. (2019). Being at the right place at the right time: does the timing within technology waves determine new venture success? Journal of Business Economics, 89(8–9), 995–1021. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11573-019-00947-0
- Vaidyanathan, R., Vaidyanathan, V., & Wadhwa, V. (2019). Exploring Entrepreneurs’ Perceptions of Venture Capitalists’ Added Value. Journal of Macromarketing, 39(4), 447–462. https://doi.org/10.1177/0276146719884610