The interdisciplinary PhD program in Entrepreneurship and Innovation at the University of Missouri Kansas City, Bloch School of Management requires “demonstrating depth of knowledge in a conceptual domain, discipline, creativity, critical thinking and analysis, and above all, a passion for social science. The program’s strategy is produce PhD graduates in entrepreneurship and innovation that have the teaching skills, research stream, and professional bearing to compete for faculty positions at the top 50 business schools in the US and global equivalents.”.
Areas of research
- Entrepreneurship and economic development in Sub-Saharan Africa
- Entrepreneurial ecosystems
- Entrepreneurship supportive organizations
- Sustainable and environmental entrepreneurship
- Strategic entrepreneurial behaviors
- Technical entrepreneurship
- Disruptive innovation
- Antecedents of entrepreneurial orientation
- New venture and value creation
- Entrepreneurial responses to hostile environments
- Stakeholder management for startups
- Attractiveness of startups to prospective employees
The PhD in Entrepreneurship at the University of Missouri Kansas City is part of an ecosystem for new ventures which also includes an MBA degree in Entrepreneurship, the Bloch LaunchPad, and the E-Scholars program. Moreover, UMKS also has the Regnier Institute for Entrepreneurship, a venture incubator and accelerator which “helps facilitate early-stage startups from the concept phase to a sustainable launch in a safe environment of learning, experimenting and mentoring”.